Monday, April 8, 2013

An Alaskan Love Story . . . Or Two

Have you ever received advice that completely changed your point of view? Your life?

Little does singer Ginny Marshall know that when she sets out on a journey to Glacier Bay, Alaska, the advice that changes her life forever will come from a love story chronicled in letters written over 80 years ago. Ellie's story, captured in hand-written letters, brings flashes of hope and a fresh outlook on life to a confused and heartsore Ginny. Can Ginny learn from Ellie's experiences how to trust God to heal the pain born from her broken past? Will she allow God to help her choose which path she should take in her life's journey? Will she sort out all her problems too late for a second chance with the man she loves?

Tricia Goyer and Ocieanna Fleiss masterfully co-wrote a beautiful story of history, experience, advice, a love lost and rediscovered. The authors' hearts are very evident in every piece of Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska. Most likely, that's the reason I feel this novel is an emotional roller coaster well worth riding. Plus, it's a story within a story, which is an intriguing style the authors perfectly captured, if you ask me.

One of my favorite characters in Glacier Bay, Alaska is Grandma Ethel. With her spunk, advice and overt matchmaking attempts, she adds a spicy flavor that kept me flipping pages -- and sometimes laughing until my stomach ached! Something she told Ginny on page 157 really leapt off the page at me. "I want to be around to discover God's good plan for sending you up here. That's more exciting than any novel." As a writer, this comment of Grandma Ethel's made me giggle. As a tutor who has seen God's good plan taking form in many young lives, it had me nodding with a knowing smile upon my lips.

The Lord's magnificent plan comes alive all around us. I believe Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska, reveals this in its setting, history and people. I wouldn't mind journeying to Glacier Bay, Alaska sometime in the future to experience the community and heart that defines the tiny town of Gustavus, the entryway into Glacier Bay.

I hope you get a chance to read the sweet adventure that is Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska. Perhaps, some far-off day in your future -- or nearer to now -- you'll make plans of your own to visit Gustavus.

Here's where you may visit the authors and order your copy of their co-written novel:

Tricia Goyer: http://triciagoyer.com

Ocieanna Fleiss: http://ocieanna.com

You may find them both on Facebook as well.


Was your own love story an easy journey on paved roads or filled with the potholes of adventure? Did you receive good or bad (or a little of both) advice along the way? Please share your story in the comment section below.

2 comments:

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I love Alaska! I also wrote a book that was set in that beautiful state. Nice to meet you.

Andrea Cox said...

Hi, Kathi! Thanks for stopping by. What's the title of your book? I'd love to read it. Books set in Alaska are really fun to read. It's a pleasure to meet you, as well.

Blessings,
Andrea