Monday, August 10, 2015

With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin

by Andrea Renee Cox

With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin is a great example of why I enjoy reading historical Christian fiction. There are many reasons why I like this genre, and this novel in particular, but the aspect I love the most is learning new things about different times in history. Before reading this book, I had no idea there were flight nurses in World War II.

In With Every Letter, Mellie Blake aspires to become a flight nurse, but even if the government finally approves this new position for females, her lack of social skills may hinder her from being allowed to join the crew of flight nurses. Will she learn to be a friend before time runs out?

It was very interesting to learn not only that these flight nurses existed but also of some of the difficulties they faced. The main problem was they were entering a man's domain: the front lines of war. Bravery wasn't the issue; the women wanted to serve their country just like the men they longed to nurse back to health. The men's mindsets toward having "dames" that close to the battles was the problem. Was it because they feared the ladies would be hurt or that they'd be a distraction? Probably a bit (or a lot) of both. Though the men thought nurses belonged in the military hospitals, I'm sure those who needed the nurses' in-flight care quickly learned to appreciate that the ladies were so close at hand.

I can hardly wait to see what I'll learn when I read the second book in Sarah Sundin's Wings of the Nightingale series.


Readers, what historical facts have you learned from fictional books recently? What’s your favorite thing about historical novels?


Thanks for stopping by today! I look forward to hearing your thoughts in the comment section below. And don’t forget to drop by next Monday for my latest article.

Would you like to be my guest? Here's how to submit an article.

Do you need a copy editor or proofreader? Here are the services I offer.

2 comments:

Sarah Sundin said...

Thank you for the wonderful review, Andrea! I'm so glad you enjoyed Tom & Mellie's story!

Andrea Cox said...

My pleasure, Sarah. Do you have any new books coming out soon? Not that I'm caught up on your others yet, but I'd love to help spread the word about your latest offerings.