Monday, July 3, 2017

The Captain's Daughter by Jennifer Delamere

by Andrea Renee Cox

The premise for this book really intrigued me, as did the title. I was disappointed that the title barely had anything to do with the plot, though. I think there were two mentions, perhaps three, that the leading lady was the daughter of a captain, and she never once set foot on a ship. This was a large disappointment to me, as I really had hopes of a good ship scene or at least a more involved explanation for the title's claim.

A rather large inconsistency in Rosalyn's intuition about smarmy men irritated me throughout. She immediately sensed one character was a no-good rascal, yet another similar character with a slightly smoother but still clearly deceitful nature received welcome attention from the same woman, with little regard to anyone's warnings about him. What happened to her intuition? It vanished so quickly and with no defined reason that I found it difficult to feel sorry for her when things got tricky because of the neglect of her own common sense.

I enjoyed the complex characters from the beginning, and though this dipped a little due to Rosalyn's inconsistent intuition, the majority of the characters remained consistent throughout and I was quite able to enjoy their journeys.


What really stood out to me in a positive nature was the complex plot. There were twists I didn't see coming (and a couple of them that I did), and I liked the witty banter sprinkled in along the way. It was an entertaining story that well incorporated the theater in a way I hadn't seen previously in a novel. I hope more authors will bring the theater to life for readers, because it was a beautiful setting in this particular case, and I believe it could be so again in many others.

The action and tension were great throughout, ebbing and flowing nearly perfectly. The only spot that fell a bit flat on the beat to me was the final chapter. It was much too short in comparison to all the others, and it seemed things were wrapped up a bit too neatly and quickly.

The faith thread was pretty strong throughout, until the last chapter. It seemed the lead characters made their final decisions without guidance from God, even though they said they were trying to lean on His wisdom and strength for the path their lives would take.

Content advisory:
* a derogatory term
* an expletive phrase
* prostitution (though handled fairly well)
* alcohol and tobacco usage
* sexual innuendo

This was an enjoyable story despite those things I mentioned. I am glad I read this book as it was an entertaining way to spend several hours this week.


I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, authors, and sites like Netgalley, Litfuse Publicity Group, and Blogging for Books. They do not require me to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.



About The Captain's Daughter:


When a series of circumstances beyond her control leave Rosalyn Bernay alone and penniless in London, she chances upon a job backstage at a theater that is presenting the most popular show in London. A talented musician and singer, she feels immediately at home and soon becomes enthralled with the idea of pursuing a career on the stage.
A hand injury during a skirmish in India has forced Nate Moran out of the army until he recovers. Filling his time at a stable of horses for hire in London, he has also spent the past two months working nights as a stagehand, filling in for his injured brother. Although he's glad he can help his family through a tough time, he is counting the days until he can rejoin his regiment. London holds bitter memories for him that he is anxious to escape. But then he meets the beautiful woman who has found a new lease on life in the very place Nate can't wait to leave behind.
Additional information: http://litfusegroup.com/author/jdelamere

About Jennifer Delamere:
Jennifer Delamere

Jennifer Delamere's debut Victorian romance, "An Heiress at Heart," was a 2013 RITA award finalist in the inspirational category. Her follow-up novel, "A Lady Most Lovely," received a starred review from "Publishers Weekly" and the Maggie Award for Excellence from Georgia Romance Writers. Jennifer earned a BA in English from McGill University in Montreal, where she became fluent in French and developed an abiding passion for winter sports. She's been an editor of nonfiction and educational materials for nearly two decades, and lives in North Carolina with her husband.
Find out more about Jennifer at jenniferdelamere.com.



What adventures have you had when learning a new job or fitting into a new-to-you community?

Do you have big plans for the Fourth of July?


Happy Fourth of July!

Join the conversation!
I love hearing from you.
Like this article? Share it!
Want more? Follow by e-mail.

No comments: