Monday, August 7, 2017

Traffic Jam Contentment

by Andrea Renee Cox

How do you handle a traffic jam?

Yesterday morning, I read Philippians 4, and the two verses that leapt out at me were these:

“Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.”
Philippians 4:11-12 NKJ

My family headed home from a weekend trip shortly after I read that section, and wouldn’t you know that would be the day of bursts of heavy rain that slowed us down, a side trip that was for naught, and multiple traffic jams that had us inching along slower than a slug.


But I didn’t panic. Or freak out. Or get frustrated at any of it.




I held onto the truth of those verses, that I might be content in any situation… and apparently any situation included everything I faced yesterday.

Instead of coming at the scenarios in a negative fashion, I chose to make good use of my time and be happy doing such. I nearly finished reading a book, listened to some great praise music, and even wrote a fantastic motorcycle chase scene for a thriller I’ve got simmering on the back burner of my mind these days. It turned out to be quite a productive day for me, and all from the backseat of a car! (Have I ever mentioned that I love road trips?)

When have you last chosen to be content in a situation that could easily breed frustration?

What tips do you have for seeing the bright side in such moments?


Join the conversation!
I love hearing from you.
Like this article? Share it!
Want more? Follow by e-mail.


Remember, if you're participating in my Autumn 2017 Reading Challenge, visit this page to let me know which book you've read for each category.

Haven't signed up yet? No problem! Visit this page to sign up. This challenge goes all the way through December, so it's not too late to join in the reading fun!


No comments: