Monday, January 15, 2018

Those Who've Come Before

by Andrea Renee Cox

As I'm working on the Bible study God's called me to pen, I've been thinking about those studies I've worked through and appreciated that were written by other authors. I only got into Bible studies and nonfiction books about biblical topics a few years ago. While I've collected enough of them to keep me busy for a decade, I've only read through a a handful or so in the last three or four years.

Stay tuned to the end of this article. I'll be asking for your advice!

Here are some of the books that have made a positive impact on me. They are written by authors I admire, ones I've gleaned knowledge from as I've read their books. It is my hope that the Bible study I'm working on will someday make a similar impact on the hearts and lives of my fellow nonfiction readers.




Believing God by Beth Moore

“Is it working? Your belief system, that is. Is it really working? God’s intention all along has been for the believer’s life to work. From divine perspective toward terrestrial turf, God meant for his children to succeed. . .Are our Christian lives successful? Are they achieving and experiencing what Scripture said they would? In a recent sermon my son-in-law preached, Curt told us the only way we were going to impact the world and the next generation is to prove that our faith in Christ is real and that it works. For countless Christians I’m convinced it’s real. My concern is whether or not we have the fruit to suggest it works.”—Beth Moore; Believing God

Check out my review.




Looking for Lovely by Annie F. Downs

“I want you to take every step of your life with excitement for where you are headed. And I want you to feel beautiful and confident as you do.” But how? When the enemy whispers lies that you are not smart enough, pretty enough, or rich enough? Or you are too dumb, too loud, too quiet, too thin, too fat, too much or not enough? What if you don’t have what it takes to be who you really want to be? In Looking for Lovely, Annie F. Downs shares personal stories, biblical truth, and examples of how others have courageously walked the path God paved for their lives by remembering all God had done, loving what was right in front of them, and seeing God in the everyday—whether that be nature, friends, or the face they see in the mirror. Intensely personal, yet incredibly powerful, Looking for Lovely will spark transformative conversations and life changing patterns. No matter who we are and what path God has us on, we all need to look for lovely, fight to finish, and find beautiful in our every day!

Check out my review.


The Sweet Side of Suffering by Esther Lovejoy

Suffering is often a reality people don’t choose. However, they do have a choice in how to respond to it. In The Sweet Side of Suffering, author M. Esther Lovejoy explores the character of God to help readers find a response that sweetens the bitter waters of suffering. This engaging book is written in a narrative voice, sharing biblical truths and practical insights from the author’s personal experiences. Readers can find a message of hope and encouragement as they discover a fresh perspective on strengthening their relationship with God and renewing their confidence in knowing that He is always there.

Check out my review.




Waiting for Wonder by Marlo Schalesky

It's easy to believe God when a promise is new. It's hard when the years pass and nothing changes. It's even harder when desperation strikes, your plans backfire, and still God does not fill the emptiness. But what if, in this waiting, God is calling us to more?

Join author Marlo Schalesky on a unique, contemplative journey to reveal the wonder that is often missed when we find ourselves struggling to wait well. Walking through the life of the biblical character Sarah, one who knows what it means to wait, you will discover a glimpse of God's character that will give you strength to keep hoping and praying for the desires of your heart.

Waiting for Wonder is a journey into the heart of God where you will wrestle with personal questions, think deeply about God's true character, and learn to appreciate his divine work as you discover your own path to the promised land. Recapture your hope, restore your soul, and renew your vision of a wondrous Savior when you learn to live on God's time.

Designed to guide Bible study groups and discipleship classes through the book, the Waiting for Wonder Leader Guide offers session outlines, with discussion points and questions, activities, prayers, and leader helps for facilitating a group.


Check out my review.


Now that you've seen some of my favorite nonfiction and Bible study books, I'd love to hear about yours.
Which books in the nonfiction spectrum have made a positive impact on your heart?
Which ones have left you thinking about them months after having reshelved them?
Which ones do you find yourself recommending every time a friend asks for a great nonfiction or Bible study read?


Remember, this month is all about that tower of to-be-read books. Hop over to the TBR Extravaganza page and share which books you've read in January 2018.



Join the conversation!
Hearing from you makes me smile.
Like this article? Share it!
Want more? Follow by e-mail.

No comments: