Monday, July 22, 2013

Wagons, Ho!

Covered wagons.

The hard trail west.

The great unknown.

When I was in 5th grade, I played a computer game called either “Wagons West!” or “Oregon Trail!” (or a mix of both; I really can’t remember.) That game about traveling on the Oregon Trail in a covered wagon was so much fun, I became fascinated with covered wagons and the historical journey west.

Knowing that about myself, it’s no wonder historical fiction books appeal to me. Recently, I was able to read an advanced reader copy of a book that takes place on the trail west. (Yes, it features covered wagons!)

Prairie Song by Mona Hodgson is about a journey west that will change the lives of the folks traveling west with the Boone’s Lick Company Wagon Train. Trail hand Caleb Reger bears secrets that keep him from settling down or releasing his heart to be loved again. Anna Goben’s got secrets of her own, which may jeopardize the adventure that awaits her, even as she tries to protect those she loves. Garrett Cowlishaw leads this company with a bravery Caroline Milburn is hesitant to admire. When trials occur on the trail before them, will these four—and the people they’re traveling with—find the courage to carry on? Or will they turn back, being labeled “go-backers”? Will the secrets they hold within cause more trouble and prevent them from fully enjoying the blessings of a fresh start?

Well written with spunk and historical facts, Mona Hodgson’s Prairie Song is a must-read. Without books like this one, the thrill of the old journey west will one day be forgotten. Thankfully, authors like Mona pen stories that are sure to inspire many generations to come with the adventures their ancestors experienced.

There’s a great take-away for readers in this book. Caleb feels God is being silent. At one point, Garrett asks him, “Don’t you agree that God’s truth can prepare our hearts and bolster our spirits?” (page 64) Not only are these words meant to encourage Caleb, but the reader may also find in them the strength to carry on. Life is tough and harsh at times. Wouldn’t it be nice to have God’s truth prepare your heart for those difficult moments? I know I’m relieved when His Word bolsters my spirit! It might not change the hard circumstance, but God’s companionship will help you through it.

Prairie Song by Mona Hodgson comes to a bookstore near you on August 6, 2013. Be sure to mark your calendars, folks. Especially if you like a little old-fashioned adventure!

Mona Hodgson would love to hear what you think of her books. You may find her at any of these locations:





Thank you to WaterBrook Multnomah for my copy of Prairie Song to review.


What part of history inspires YOU? Which piece of history do you hope to share with the next generation?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I played Oregon Trail growing up, too!

I love historical fiction...especially fiction set in the 1920s or World War II...and Russian history. I don't know what it is about it, but Russian history fascinates me.

Anyway, this sounds like a book I need to check out!

Andrea Cox said...

Wasn't Oregon Trail a cool game? I wish there was a modern version of it compatible with Windows 7.

Russian history... must say I wasn't expecting that one! Very interesting choice. I'm currently researching Chechnya for a future WIP. I'm thinking some Russian history might come into play here, too, since they invaded Chechnya.

I hope you get a chance to read Prairie Song. Be ready to buy more than one book, though. This is the first in a series. I'm not sure when the next book in the series comes out. Maybe I should find out...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Melissa. I love visitors!