Monday, June 15, 2020

New Direction, Same Focus {Focus on Jesus}

Hey, friends. How are your memory verses coming along?


I haven't even started my last one. My mind has been in a bit of an allergic fog lately. So I think it's time for a bit of a break so we don't burn out.

In fact, I'm thinking of going a slightly new direction -- or perhaps expanding the idea is a better term -- with the #FocusOnJesus journey.

Focusing on Jesus starts in the Word of God, but it doesn't end there. It ought to encompass everything we think, say, and do, and I think that's one reason why the memory work started feeling restrictive to me in the last couple of weeks.

My faith journey has always included not only Scripture but also songs, books (nonfiction as well as fiction), nature, fellowship, pain, weather, and a whole host of other things. God created so many wonderful things, and He speaks to us through a variety of them that cross our paths in our daily life. Just think of Moses and that burning bush or Balaam and his donkey for two prime examples, but also consider the analogies Jesus used, of seeds and trees and storms and the way a parent treats their children.

So from this point forward, the Focus on Jesus weeks (every other week still, as of right now), will include more than just Scripture memory. If Scripture memory is a big way in which you feel God is calling you to focus on Jesus, then by all means, continue choosing verses to commit to memory (and share them in the comments so we may root you on!).

This week, I'm highlighting a song that's been stuck in my head lately. This song by mikeschair amazed me from the first time I heard it on the radio years ago, and it still inspires and encourages me today. Since it talks about the world not being able to take away our God, it seems very appropriate for keeping our eyes (and ears) on Jesus.

Here is "Can't Take Away" by mikeschair via YouTube.


As for a verse to focus on this week, I will be studying and focusing on the same one I was supposed to do last time. What about for you? Which verse is speaking to your heart this week?


No comments: