Monday, September 1, 2014

Shadowed by Grace

By Andrea Renee Cox

A while back I won a copy of Cara Putman’s book Shadowed by Grace, and I had no idea  whether or not I’d like it. I’d never read anything by Cara before. The story sounded interesting, though, and I like discovering new-to-me authors, so I dove into it with an open mind. Boy, am I glad I did! What a treasure this book turned out to be.

Set in WWII, it tells the story of a photojournalist who travels to Italy to capture images of the war to help the folks back home really understand what it’s all about. Of course that isn’t the only reason she took on the job, but I can’t give away all her secrets. When she starts her journey, Rachel Justice wonders if she’ll ever be able to find peace in a time of war.

Throughout the chapters, I found myself completely immersed in the time period and setting. I’ve never been to Italy, but I sure felt like I was right there with Rachel. That’s when I realized I’d discovered a new favorite author. When history and the characters and the place really leap off the pages and come alive, that’s when I realize I’m falling in love with reading all over again.

One thing that really resonated with me was Rachel’s longing to “do something that matters.” I don’t know about you, but that’s what whispers through my heart too. I want to do something that matters. Something that not only will make a difference in the world, but something that really makes a difference in the spiritual sense. Furthering God’s kingdom. Advancing the Gospel. I’m not sure exactly what this something is yet, but I know God will reveal it to me in the right time. In the meantime, I’ll keep focusing on the tasks before me, which I’m sure are preparing me for whatever may come next.

Readers, what are you doing today that might make the difference for someone’s tomorrow? When has a book inspired you to make a positive change in your life?


Would you like to be my guest? Here's how to submit an article.

Do you need a proofreader? Here are the services I offer.

No comments: