Monday, December 11, 2017

Notes for a New Year (One Word & Reading Challenges)

by Andrea Renee Cox

Before you heckle me for jumping straight over Christmas, let me assure you, I am not forgetting this most special of holidays. I'm already brainstorming an article for the week of Christmas, which I'll most likely post on that Sunday, since the twenty-fifth lands on a Monday this year.

This article, though, is to give you a heads-up of what's heading your way in the new year.

Firstly, let's talk about One Word. This year was my first experience with it, and I feel like I wasn't as intentional about it as I had intended to be. That's something I'm planning on working on for 2018, to be much more intentional about applying my One Word for the year.

During 2017, my One Word was see. Throughout the year, I gained a new perspective on many things. I learned that God has already been moving in mighty ways in my life, and He opened my eyes to see much more than I had imagined when I put up my new calendars last January first.




For 2018, my One Word is grace. A couple of things I hope to gain through focusing on this word is how to both accept and give more grace. We all make mistakes, as I'm sure you realize by now, and it's through grace that we forgive and are forgiven. This is something I definitely want to be more intentional about, and it's something that I want to go bone-deep and into the depths of my soul. On top of that, I'm looking forward to discovering other ways God will reveal to me what grace really means. I'm certain there are multiple facets to this word that I have not yet become aware of, and I am confident that through the upcoming year, God will share His heart with me by showing me more about this incredible word.



Secondly, let's discuss reading challenges. I had such a blast hosting my very first reading challenge here on Writing to Inspire from July through December 2017. So many of you signed up, and several of you shared the books you read for each of the twenty-four categories in the comment section of this article. It was great fun having so many participants and seeing the wide variety of books that were read in the last six months.


Thank you all for jumping in there and supporting my first attempt at hosting a reading challenge. Y'all are the best!


For the upcoming year, I'm doing something a bit different. For my own reading, I'm hoping to get to a lot of the books sitting on my bookcases. I also want to try some new authors and genres. So what I've decided to do for 2018's challenge is to feature a different theme or genre each month. There will not be set categories of how many books to read, so it's very open-ended on how few or many books we may read per month. In that way, you can actually create your own challenge each month.

To give you a sneak peek at this year-long challenge, here are a few of the themes and genres you can look forward to:


Around the World
Back to School
Historical Fiction
Patriot

The first theme will be revealed on January 1, 2018, so I hope you'll come back to see what type of books we'll be reading to kick off the new year.



What were your favorite books this year?

What books are you looking forward to next year?

What are your favorite themes or genres to read?


Join the conversation!
I love hearing from you.
Like this article? Share it!
Want more? Follow by e-mail.



Remember, if you're participating in my Autumn 2017 Reading Challenge, visit this page to let me know which book you've read for each category.



3 comments:

Rebekah said...

This reading challenge looks fun. :) I like that it's going to be open ended because I'd doing one on my own blog this year too. I had so much fun doing your Autumn 2017 Challenge, that I decided to create one myself. Maybe I can do both this next year. :)

Andrea Cox said...

Rebekah, how fun! I would love to see what type of challenge you come up with. Feel free to come and share about it on my blog (in the comment section), if you like.

Rebekah said...

Thanks, I will. :) I still have to figure some things out, but I'll be back.