Monday, July 29, 2019

Characters Who... Travel {reading challenge}

We're approaching another month, and that means we're stepping into a new reading challenge.


Summer often brings vacations, which means travel. For August's challenge, we'll be reading books in which the characters travel someplace. It may be domestic or international travel. It doesn't necessarily have to be a vacation for the character. It may also be travel for work or to help out a family member who lives somewhere different than the character who does the traveling.

Please remember to share with us where they traveled when you post your books.

Let's talk vacations now.
(And yes, I want to hear from you in the comments.)


Which destinations have you enjoyed the most in your travels?

Personally, I'm a huge fan of western Montana. The mountains and big sky are absolutely gorgeous, and I could seriously stare at them all day. They're so inspirational and remind me of God's great creativity in designing everything on earth, including us.

What books have you enjoyed that take you on a journey outside your comfort zone?

World War II books always take me on a journey beyond what I'm comfortable with, and Secrets She Kept by Cathy Gohlke was no exception. That was a tough yet beautiful story that took place largely in Germany, a country to which I've not yet been. (See my review here.)

Here are more great books in which the characters travel somewhere.

The Heart Between Us by Lindsay Harrel

A Portrait of Emily Price by Katherine Reay

Up From the Sea by Amanda Dykes


In Perfect Time by Sarah Sundin

Heart on the Line by Karen Witemeyer

Far Side of the Sea by Kate Breslin


I'm so curious to see which books you'll enjoy this month!

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

Oh, this one is going to be such fun! You like Montana too? I've never been but I've been wanting to go there for YEARS!!!!! I want to see the mountains, the sky, the vast lands! *sighs* Maybe someday.

Andrea Cox said...

I do! And if you ever make it there, girl, you’re going to love it. So pretty!

Dawn Cox said...

I read "Their Daring Hearts" by Sharlene MacLaren. She begins in Pennsylvania and travels to Virginia to join the army and do her part in the Civil War.

Dawn Cox said...

"Greetings from the Flipside" by Rene Gutteridge and Cheryl McKay. Hope Landon traveled to New York City in a unique way!

Andrea Cox said...

Those both sound like interesting reads!

Rebekah said...

Okay, now that September has come around I have my list of August books ready for you. And let me say I did a lot of traveling in books. :) And had fun doing it!

1. A Child's Geography – Viking Realms by Terri Johnson
2. A Child's Geography – Classical World by Terri Johnson
3. A Child's Geography – Medieval Kingdoms by Terri Johnson
These three books were so much fun to read! The author writes as though you were traveling with her through all these countries seeing the sights, eating the foods, traveling by plane, train, boat and car. I learned all kinds of things about countries I'd only heard the name of before. Thanks for suggesting I travel. ;)
4. A Brother is Born by Angie Thompson (They travel for vacation.)
5. Keep Holding On by Melissa Tagg (There are several trips to a distant city, a flight to Boston, and a trip to the west coast.)
6. Protecting the Poor by Amanda Tero (One person travels to another castle in search of help.)
7. Fool's Gold by Stephen Bly (They travel to Goldtown and then the dad has to travel out into the desert to help someone.)
8. Enemy Brothers by Constance Savery (Two characters travel from south England for somewhere farther north, and there are many other shorter trips.)
9. Cinda by Janet Lambert (They travel to the beach for the summer.)
10. Once Upon a Dime by Perry Kirkpatrick (The main characters travel to another city to keep one of the characters safe.)

And that's the end of my travels for August. :)

Andrea Cox said...

Whew! I hope you took some pit stops! :)

Rebekah said...

;) I think I read one book at the end of the month that didn't have traveling in it. ;)

Andrea Cox said...

1. Wings of the Wind by Connilyn Cossette 8/1/19
Alanah, Tobiah, and Israelites travel to the Promised Land
2. The Medallion by Cathy Gohlke 8/6/19
Several characters in WWI, to attempt escape from Nazis
3. Vow of Justice by Lynette Eason 8/16/19
Allie, traveled in several different vehicles while chasing bad guys
4. Ours for a Season by Kim Vogel Sawyer 8/24/19
Anthony and Marty travel from Indiana to Kansas for his job
5. Finding Lady Enderly by Joanna Davidson Politano 8/26/19
Sully and Raina, various modes of travel, from one city to another as well as to a foreign country
6. A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin 8/28/19
Four women traveled to work, some moving across state lines or across the country. Bicycles, buses, cars, and feet were used in their various travels.
7. You Belong with Me by Tari Faris 8/31/19
Luke traveled by truck to Chicago.