Monday, October 12, 2015

Perfectly Beautiful

by Andrea Renee Cox

Hello friends! I’m writing this on Sunday evening, at the tail end of an extra busy weekend. I hope you have had a productive weekend and found some rest as well. My weekend has included copyediting, seeing War Room with one of my best friends, and spending time with my family. The most important time I’ve spent, though, was with God. He gives me rest and refreshment when I bathe in His Word. I’m currently working through Beth Moore’s Breaking Free Bible study workbook, along with the accompanying audio CDs. I’m not very far into it yet, but I’m already learning a lot. It’s amazing how quickly God starts moving in your heart once you get into His Word. Gives me goosebumps every time.

As I was writing my final notes in today’s session of that book, the breeze floating in through an open window fluttered the pages of my Bible. When I looked over, I noticed a large chunk of scripture that I had underlined on a previous occasion. I paused and read it… and was blown away at how perfectly beautiful it was. It is my joy to share it with you now, in hopes that you will also be touched by the precious words God shared through Peter.

2 Peter 1:3-11 NIV
3. His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
4. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
5. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
6. and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7. and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.
8. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
10. Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall,
11. and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

What leapt off the page at me this morning was that God “has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature.” God wants us to participate with Him in His divine nature, and that’s why He gives us His precious promises. I believe that encompasses the promises written for everyone (for example: redemption through salvation) and also the promises He whispers to your soul, the ones meant only for you (for example: Mary was promised that she would give birth to God’s Son; see Luke 1:26-38). Each promise is a treasure, and they all build up to us joining Him, participating with Him in His divine nature. What that means precisely I do not know, and maybe it’s different for everyone, just as each person’s relationship with God is individualized. Even though I don’t fully understand, it excites me anyway. I am eager to learn what He means by this particular part of this section of verses. Someday He will show me, just as He will you, if you treasure His promises.


Friends, what stood out to you in 2 Peter 1:3-11?

Which part of verses 5-7 comes the easiest to you? Which part do you have to work at the most?


Personally, I struggle with a cousin to perseverance: patience. I always have. But over the last several years, as I’ve asked God to guide me in learning to wait on Him, He has shifted my perspective and showed me how to appreciate the slower pace patience provides. His work is evident in my level of patience these days, though certain things still irk me quicker than others. Every day, though, I’m grateful for His grace and abundant patience with me. His love abounds, and I’m so thankful that He helps me with my weaknesses. Not only making them stronger. Sometimes it’s in my weak areas that He shines the greatest by not making them stronger. Using me because that certain area in which I struggle reveals His work in my life. Plain and simple, I praise God for doing the work I am unable to do, and helping me with the stuff I can. 


How does God shine through your weaknesses? And how does He make you strong?


Thanks for stopping by today! I look forward to hearing your thoughts in the comment section below. And don’t forget to drop by next Monday for my latest article.

Would you like to be my guest? Here's how to submit an article.

Do you need a copy editor? Here are the services I offer.

No comments: