Monday, April 29, 2019

Characters Who... Serve in the United States Military

While watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, I've been thinking about those courageous men and women who serve in our military. Before every hockey game in the post-season, the National Anthem of the United States is played (as well as Canada's when a Canadian team is playing that particular game). During those moments, as I stand at home with my right hand over my heart and sing my salute to my God, country, and team, I contemplate the freedoms I live with each day and the high cost to other people that these liberties require.

This challenge is my thank-you to the men and women who have served the United States, including those who have perished so that I might live in a country of great freedom.


For May 2019, read books that feature at least one person who serves in the United States military.


Branches include: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserves.

The person may be currently serving the country or retired from doing so.

Only the above branches of the United States military are acceptable for this challenge.

Some books I've previously enjoyed that featured U.S. military men and/or women include:

Kind by Kellyn Roth

Remembering You by Tricia Goyer

With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin



Which books have you read that feature U.S. military men and/or women?



April's reading challenge features small shops.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I got five read this month that fit this category.

Mission of Mercy - Hallee Bridgeman (Takes place during WWII and has many military figures.)
Flight of Faith - Hallee Bridgeman (Also takes place during WWII and has many military figures.)
Just Breath - Leeanna Morgan (Guy was retired Navy SEAL) Don't really recommend the book though.
Stagestruck Parri - Janet Lambert (Grandfather and two uncles retired from the army. Cousin is a cadet at West Point.)
By Paths Unknown - Rebekah A. Morris (Son of side character is in the army, and make appearance near the end.) And no, it's not published quite yet. Hopefully later this summer though.

I enjoyed this challenge.

Andrea Cox said...

Well done!

Andrea Cox said...

1. Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury 5/7/19
Connor Evans, former U.S. military (branch undisclosed, possibly Air Force since he's now a pilot)
2. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (GM) 5/9/19
Louie Zamperini, Army Air Forces
3. Whose Waves These Are by Amanda Dykes 5/21/19
Roy Bliss, Navy; Arthur, Navy